Makes 8-10 servings
Hands on time: 10 minutes
Chill time: 3 hours
Here’s a no-bake pie that will thrill the chocolate lovers in your life. It is exceptionally easy to prepare, and makes a dramatic presentation at a party. Serve it with additional whipped cream, if you like.
- 6 ounces semisweet good quality chocolate bars, finely chopped
- 2 cups (16-ounces) heavy cream or liquid non-dairy whipping topping, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 prepared 9-inch chocolate cookie crust
- 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 teaspoons Kolatin unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 -1 ounce semisweet good quality chocolate bars, grated (optional garnish)
1) Place the chopped chocolate into a large mixing bowl. Set aside. 2) In a small sauce pan, whisk together 2/3 cup heavy cream or liquid non-dairy whipping topping, sugar and cocoa powder; bring to a simmer and pour over chopped chocolate. Let stand 10-15 seconds, then whisk until smooth. 3) Pour ¾ cup of chocolate mixture into the crust and chill for 20-30 minutes. 4) Meanwhile, in a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 1 tablespoon cold water. Let the gelatin soften for 5 minutes. Bring the remaining water to a boil and pour into the gelatin mix. Stir with a fork until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Scrape sides as needed. 5) Whisk the gelatin mix into the remaining chocolate and stir until completely blended. Let cool to room temperature. (Can be chilled for 5-10 minutes to hasten the process, just don’t let it get too thick) 6) Whip the remaining cream to medium stiff peaks, then whisk into the cooled chocolate. 7) Dollop the mousse into the cooled, filled pie shell and sprinkle with grated chocolate if desired. Chill at least 2 hours. Serve and enjoy immediately or chill until ready to serve, up to one day in advance.